For much of my adult life, I’ve been foolishly thinking that I have plenty of time to accomplish my goals (one day) and “the dream” is reserved for either retirees or really lucky people.
But every once in a while, I come across someone who seemingly has control of their life and hits their goals well before they are “supposed to.” Are these people exceptions? Lucky? Or are they just living very intentionally and working their ass off to make it happen each day?
What if you became more conscious about what is most important in your life, and started to live more purposely to accomplish those dreams?
In the past, I’ve made the mistake of taking advice from others whose lifestyles I did not value. There are lots of people much smarter or more successful than me, but often I find their overall ambitions don’t match my own. Simply put, their ideal day, is not my ideal day. Oh, you are a workaholic CEO, unhappy in your marriage and a borderline alcoholic… please tell me more about how I should live my life.
What would my ideal day look like?
I was surprised to learn that it wasn’t all that crazy. It wasn’t some absurd plan of drunkenly island hopping from coast to coast on an 80 foot yacht with a bunch of my friends. That would be short-lived and unfulfilling. It was actually quite simple:
- Wake up naturally (no alarm clock)
- Make coffee and a healthy breakfast for the family
- Workout, run, swim or tennis
- Head out for quality family time (hiking, museum, garden, bike ride, etc.)
- 4-5 hours of quiet time- writing, working, building something
- Cook a healthy / elaborate dinner- share with friends over wine
- Spend an hour somewhere around water (hot tub, lake, ocean, etc.) to reflect
- 2-3 hours of work and/or reading until tired
Now that my thoughts are written out, I can see that this “ideal” day is actually not that far-fetched. Sure, I have to significantly adjust my work hours (and gain access to water…), but if I play my cards right, it is a very realistic short-term goal.
It’s no longer feels unattainable or lucky. It’s simply something I need to intentionally work very hard towards.
What does your ideal day look like?